Is your dog bored of the same old toys? Does she seek to extend her toys by looking to your possessions like shoes or furniture? The interactive dog toys to keep your dog busy open up a whole new world to you and your dog. Such toys may even solve huge problems that had been plaguing you both.
- 1. FurryFido Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Ball
- 2. ZippyPaws Interactive Squeaky Hide and Seek Dog Toy
- 3. Trixie Interactive Puzzle Dog Toy
- 4. Nina Ottoson Dog Brick Treat Puzzle Dog Toy
- 5. KONG Wobbler Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Toy
- 6. PetSafe Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude Interactive Dog Chew Toy
- 7. KONG Stuff-A-Ball Dog Toy
- 8. PetSafe Busy Buddy Twist ‘n Treat Puppy Toy
- 9. Omega Paw Tricky Treat Ball Puppy Toy
- 10. Gnawsome Squeak and Light Ball for Dogs
- Which Dogs Need Interactive Toys?
- What Kind of Interactive Dog Toy is Right for Your Dog?
- How to Introduce Your Dog to an Interactive Toy
- Final Thoughts
1. FurryFido Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Ball
Some dogs like balls right away without needing any encouragement, while other dogs take a little more reason to play with a ball. Even dogs that initially don’t care about playing with balls can learn to enjoy them with a little bit of practice.
This interactive dog ball can be thrown for fun games of Fetch like any other ball. It also works as a great chew and treat-dispensing toy. This is a bouncy ball that will provide hours of entertainment and constant mental stimulation for your dog.
You can fill the ball with kibbel or treats. Your dog will be occupied for hours as the ball shoots out treats as she chases and chews on it. What better way could there be to teach your dog to play with a ball than giving her a ball that constantly feeds her while she plays with it?
You can feel good about giving this toy to your dog since it’s durable and non-toxic natural rubber construction is safe to chase and chew on. The rubber is soft as well as durable so that it can massage the gums and keep teeth healthy. This product is backed by a lifetime guarantee. If your dog manages to destroy this ball, you can get a replacement for free.
- Functions as a chew toy, fetch toy, and food dispensing toy
- Lifetime guarantee
- All natural, soft, durable rubber safely massages your dog’s teeth and gums
- Naturally slows down fast eaters
- Can be challenging to fill up
- Small treats or kibble come out easily
- Since it bounces, it tends to shoot treats and kibble everywhere
2. ZippyPaws Interactive Squeaky Hide and Seek Dog Toy
Here is a toy that allows your dog to act out her natural instincts to search for and pull out prey without providing treats or food that will add to problems with obesity. If your overweight dog needs something that will entertain her without adding to her waistline, this fun log and squirrels might be the perfect solution for her.
The three chipmunks within the log act as great toys in and of themselves, with engaging squeakers and lots of details to interest dogs, like little ears, feet, and fuzzy beards. This model was made for larger dogs, but any size dog can get entertainment from this great toy.
Dogs that tend to shred and destroy toys will make quick work of this stuffed toy, but at this great price for what amounts to four separate toys, you may not mind letting your dog destroy this one. Many dogs still enjoy the toy even after they have thoroughly unstuffed and removed the squeaker from the chipmunks. If you would prefer a different model, the company makes lots of cute little animals hiding in various types of holes for your dog to choose from.
- Keeps dogs entertained without providing food or treats
- Affordable for four separate items
- Cute details that are appealing for people and amusing for dogs
- Works well for both large and small dogs
- Easy for dogs that like to rip and shred toys to destroy
- Small squirrels can easily be lost under furniture as dog throws them about
- Little pieces on squirrels are easy for dogs to chew off
3. Trixie Interactive Puzzle Dog Toy
Is your small dog bored of the usual toys? This interactive puzzle toy is designed especially for clever little dogs. A variety of compartments hide treats or kibble. Your dog may quickly master one technique for getting at the food quickly but will be baffled by another compartment.
Flip lids that use knobs and sliding discs are utilized to provide a varied puzzles that challenges your clever canine. Little cones that look simple to solve are more difficult than they appear, since your dog will need to lift them straight up in order to get to the food below. You can increase the difficulty of the puzzle by varying placement and number of treats.
A non-slip rubber base keeps this toy from moving around while your dog is working on it. a booklet is included with all kinds of tricks and tips to help you train your dog. This toy is dishwasher safe for your convenience. A one year warranty can give you confidence in your buying decision. Keep in mind that this toy is made of hard plastic and is designed for smaller dogs that will not tend to destroy their toys.
- Provides a variety of puzzles in one toy to thoroughly entertain intelligent dogs
- Very affordable puzzle toy
- Especially made for small dogs
- Great for your dog’s daily kibble or treats
- Some dogs may figure it out very quickly
- Not good for heavy chewers
- Some dogs may be frustrated by it, so buying a level 1 toy first may be a good idea for these dogs.
4. Nina Ottoson Dog Brick Treat Puzzle Dog Toy
If your dog is too smart for her own good, give her a challenge that will keep her entertained for some time. This level 2 game by Nina Ottoson provides plenty of mental stimulation to keep your dog occupied and out of trouble. There are three separate problem solving techniques required in order to get to the treats when your dog plays this puzzle.
This puzzle will take some time for your dog to master and it will provide a good deal of entertainment even when your dog has thoroughly learned the skills required to get to the treats. 20 separate compartments require a lot of effort and dexterity to empty. There are four removable bones which serve to distract your dog from the treats below. 8 pieces open or slide, offering even more mental stimulation.
It is easy to clean and store this convenient toy. Simply wash by hand with soapy warm water, rinse, and leave out to dry. If your dog really manages to get it slobbery, just soak in warm soapy water for some time to clean it thoroughly. The flat construction makes it easy to stack this toy.
- Innovative toy requires multiple problem solving techniques
- Entertains even intelligent dogs for some time
- 20 compartments
- Easy to clean and store
- Some dogs quickly destroy the plastic construction
- Some dogs solve the puzzle very quickly
- Can be solved quickly by a dog throwing it against a wall
5. KONG Wobbler Interactive Treat Dispensing Dog Toy
The Kong Wobbler is a classic food-dispensing dog toy that is easy for people to fill and challenging for dogs to empty. If you have been frustrated in the past by food dispensing toys that tend to be more difficult for you to fill than for your dog to empty, you will love this user-friendly toy. Simply unscrew the top from the base to fill with treats or kibble.
You can vary the difficulty of this toy by choosing to use larger or irregularly shaped treats or small kibble. Small, regular pieces will fall out easily, which can encourage unenthusiastic dogs while still slowing eating, while larger treats will require a lot of shaking and wobbling to get out.
If your dog can’t get treats out, don’t worry, it is easy for you to remove treats by unscrewing the Wobbler. If you have been irritated by treats or kibble ending up underneath your furniture you will appreciate that this toy tends to move around less, so the food will be less distributed across your house.
This toy is made of a durable, food grade polymer that is dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. This toy was not designed to be a chew toy and is not made of the typical Kong rubber. Rather, this weighted Wobbler is designed to shake and move from side to side to shoot out kibble as your dog paws and bites at it.
- Wobblers available in two sizes to fit the size of your dog
- Made in the USA so you can feel good about your purchase
- Dishwasher safe and easy to fill for your convenience
- Made of a durable polymer which is food grade
- Doesn’t move around as much as some other foods dispensing toys
- Small kibble comes out very quickly, even out of the smaller version
- If it is misthreaded at all dogs can get their teeth in the cracks and rip it open
- Sometimes it can be difficult to open after dogs have slobbered on it
- Loud as it bangs across a hard floor or against cabinets.
6. PetSafe Busy Buddy Squirrel Dude Interactive Dog Chew Toy
Here is a fun little toy that can keep your dog entertained and look cute doing it. The tough rubber can stand up even to aggressive chewing and the grooves and shape of the design encourages dogs to chew as it massages teeth and gums.
The compact shape of this toy makes it a great fetch toy as well, and since it can be filled with treats or stuffed with peanut butter, it can encourage dogs who normally don’t like to fetch to enjoy the activity.
This versatile toy can be stuffed with your dog’s daily meal, filled with treats for between-meal entertainment, or smeared with peanut butter or dog cheese for varied entertainment options. You can even freeze this toy with a filling for even more variety.
The innovative design of this toy features treat meter prongs that can be trimmed to control how easily your dog gets treats out. This toy is easy to clean since it is dishwasher safe. The non-toxic material is safe for your dog to chew on.
- Fun design is cute for people and encourages dogs to chew
- Stuff in all kinds of ways and even freeze, for highly variable use
- Durable, non-toxic rubber
- Dishwasher safe
- Innovative treat meter prongs that can be trimmed to make it easier or more difficult for your dog to get out treats
- Some dogs will successfully tear parts off of the squirrel
- Can be difficult to get some treats out before you put the toy in the dishwasher
- Tabs make toy more difficult when frozen than when not frozen
7. KONG Stuff-A-Ball Dog Toy
Is your dog a pro at food dispensing toys? This ball is designed to be stuffed extensively in a wide variety of ways to keep even the most dedicated problem-solvers entertained for a long time. The durable, natural rubber and grooves clean teeth and massage gums for ideal dental health for your dog. You can feel good about buying this product for your dog since it is made in the USA.
There is practically no limit to what you can do to stuff this ball. Hard treats can be shoved into the slots or soft foods or smearable products like peanut butter or dog cheese can be shoved into the crevice. The center is a hollow slot as well, so a treat can also be shoved through the center. With so many options for stuffing, you will be able to entertain any dog for a long time. As your dog chews, the exterior grooves will clean her teeth.
This ball has a great erratic bounce to keep dogs entertained so that your dog will love playing with it whether it is stuffed or not. Throwing a ball that is stuffed with treats is a great way to encourage your dog to fetch.
- Lots of slots in which to stuff treats
- Works great with hard or soft treats
- Grooves massage your dog’s gums and do more to clean her teeth
- Center cavity can be stuffed with large treats as well
- Grooves allow dedicated chewers places to get their teeth in and destroy the toy where they would not otherwise be able to destroy Kong rubber
- Difficult to clean due to all of the grooves and the center hole
- Hard to choose the right size for your dog.
8. PetSafe Busy Buddy Twist ‘n Treat Puppy Toy
If you have a new puppy, you have doubtless noticed how difficult it can be to keep her occupied. Puppies learn quickly and are very persistent since they have plenty of energy to keep trying until they succeed. This means that puppies often go through toys quickly, either mastering puzzle toys or destroying chew toys.
This is a toy that is adjustable so that you can continue increasing the challenge for your puppy, making this toy challenging for much longer than other toys. It is gentle on your puppy’s teeth since it is made of a durable natural rubber that is perfect for teething puppies. Since it is filled with food, your puppy will be encouraged to chew on it.
This toy can work well with wet food or smearable spreads and is also great for dry treats and kibble. This means that you can keep your puppy entertained even as her tastes change as she ages. This toy will work well until your dog is up to six months old. It comes in three sizes so you can choose the perfect size for your dog.
- Vary the difficulty as your puppy masters the toy
- Durable natural rubber
- Fill with wet food, spreads like peanut butter, or dry treats or kibble
- Comes in three sizes and is good for dogs up to 6 month old
- Very little food fits in the small size
- Can be destroyed by very dedicated chewers or puppies with powerful jaws
- Can be awkward to fill
9. Omega Paw Tricky Treat Ball Puppy Toy
Here is a fun, easy to play with toy that is great for one of a puppy’s first toys. The soft, textured vinyl surface is very easy to grip, and the large circles are perfect for your dog’s teeth to fit into. If your dog is having trouble picking up and carrying balls, this can be a great training aid for her.
You can fill this ball with all kinds of treats and toys to keep your dog occupied. When your dog throws the ball around, treats fall out. It couldn’t be simpler. This toy comes in three sizes so that you can choose the ideal size for your dog or puppy. This toy is very affordable, so if you are unsure whether your puppy or a new dog will destroy it, it is a good option for a throwaway toy.
It is important to note that this toy comes with only one hole. This is an important oversight, since your dog could get her tongue stuck in the hole, creating suction and injuring your dog. The problem can be easily remedied by cutting or drilling a second hole on the other side of the toy.
- Very affordable food dispensing toy
- Textured surface is easy to grip
- Vary the difficulty by using larger or smaller treats or food
- Comes with only one hole, so important to punch another hole so that your dog does not get her tongue stuck on it.
- Rolls all over, leaving treats or food everywhere
- Some dogs quickly destroy it
10. Gnawsome Squeak and Light Ball for Dogs
Are you looking for a way to invigorate your dog’s interest in a toy without providing food? Obesity is a serious problem for American dogs, so sometimes providing a food dispensing toy is not a good way to solve boredom. If your dog has good prey drive or fetch drive and likes to play with things that move during the day, but you are at a loss of what to do with your dog at night, a toy like this light up ball may be just what you are looking for.
Unlike products that remain continuously lit up or glow-in-the-dark, this ball has bright flashing LED lights that are activated upon impact. This means that the ball will suddenly flash once it hits the ground when you throw it, stimulating your dog to chase it. Once your dog finds the ball, the massaging spiky texture of the rubber and loud internal squeaker will encourage your dog to continue chomping on the toy.
You can feel good about letting your dog chew on this ball since it is made from food grade materials. The gum massaging prongs are amazing for stimulating parts of your dog’s gums that are normally not engaged by chews.
- Durable toy with engaging light that flashes on impact to entice dogs to play
- Spiky texture massages dog’s gums
- Squeaker to entice dogs to chew even more
- Comes in lots of fun colors
- Can be a very annoying toy with flashing lights and squeak
- May not last long with dedicated chewing
- Many dogs chew off the rubber knobs
Which Dogs Need Interactive Toys?
All toys exist to entertain dogs, but interactive toys go a level further by promoting specific problem-solving skills or satisfying particular instincts. If your dog seems bored with the old stuffed toys, tennis balls, and nylon chew toys, it may be time to upgrade to an interactive toy that will provide your dog with more engagement than the old style toys are capable of.
If your dog expresses anxiety around certain events or when you leave, you can provide an interactive toy to entertain her and allow her to let out her anxiety without destroying anything. Food dispensing toys are especially useful for occupying dogs when you are away.
If you or your kids are running out of new ways to play with your dog an interactive toy can provide a new venue for you to problem song together. Your dog will learn to trust you to help her solve problems, which builds the bonds and trust between you. Such games also prevent the development of food possessiveness in puppies or newly adopted dogs.
What Kind of Interactive Dog Toy is Right for Your Dog?
You know your dog best, so you are the best one to determine what kind of toy is right for her. Does your dog rip toys apart as soon as she lays eyes on them? A heavy-duty chew toy is probably the right choice for you.
Does your dog love her stuffed toys, but gets bored of them quickly unless you play with them with her? By getting an interactive toy which has a stuffed vessel for smaller stuffed toys to be pulled out of, you can reinvigorate interest in all of your dog’s stuffed toys. A fully stuffed plush tree trunk provides a game which can last for hours.
Is your dog too smart for her own good? Clever dogs can be stimulated and occupied by challenging puzzle toys which require them to use all of their problem-solving skills in order to get at the reward. If your smarty pants dog has a tendency to get herself into trouble when left unoccupied an interactive toy can build her mind while keeping her out of trouble.
How to Introduce Your Dog to an Interactive Toy
If your dog has never played with a particular type of interactive toy before, it is a good idea to help her get acquainted with it. If you have given your dog a new food dispensing toy, roll or shake it in the way your dog should in order to get the food. If your new interactive toy is stuffed animals within a stuffed vessel, pull out the stuffed animals and squeak them for your dog before stuffing them back in so that your dog realizes that she should pull out the toys.
Not only does teaching by imitation encourage your dog to look to you to help her with problems, it also teaches her to imitate you in other instances as well. You can use your dog’s ability to imitate you to teach her all kinds of things in the future.
The best interactive dog toys keep your dog occupied while building her mind, freeing you to do what you need to do. Dogs that are hyperactive, anxious, or demanding can all be helped by the right interactive dog toy. If your dog doesn’t love your first choice, don’t lose hope. You can find the perfect interactive dog toy for your dog.